The bad weather finally broke and we had the opportunity to make some real progress today.
First we moved ALL the wood (and there is a lot) into the backyard. Then we finished the base of the coop footprint. It may seem like a small thing, but it was very exciting to put those 2×4’s together and set them on the foundation.
We set up an area for Steve to cut the siding for the coop. He had to cut out the hen house door, which was also exciting. Perhaps what was exciting was that the punch out was successful! We are staining the hen house the same color as our house, so while Steve cut the siding for the hen house, I stained it.
Once all the siding was cut, we cut the wood to frame the rear wall. The corgis offered moral support.
Putting together the rear wall was extremely rewarding. Imagine you are on a long hike, there are moments when you are just exhausted, and then you rally. At times during this project, the process has seemed overwhelming, but we rally.
Once we got the rear wall framed we measured corner to corner to insure the measurements were true. They were off by about a half an inch. To compensate for this, we screwed one corner of the center siding to a stud and then worked together to tweak the frame into the appropriate position.
Having no background in carpentry or construction it is interesting to try and problem solve these issues. A lot of it comes down to common sense, but I would be remiss if I didn’t also give credit to Google. The resources that are available online make it possible to DIY with almost any project.
We ended the night with the rear wall ready to go. We anticipate we will be able to get the rest of the walls done tomorrow and hopefully raise them. It remains to be seen if we will manage to get the roof up, too.